This thick and hearty Instant Pot Chili is simply delicious and is the ultimate recipe for a cold winter’s day. You will love how quickly it cooks up and how easy it is to make in your pressure cooker.
With the snowy winter we have been having these past few weeks, this this chili recipe has been warming in my instant pot a lot lately…ready to be ladled into bowls after shoveling snowy driveways and sidewalks! It is my favorite chili recipe to make in my IP and one of my many Instant Pot Recipes you will find on my site. It is loaded with nutritious veggies, and packed with beans and ground beef for lot of protein…an all around well-rounded meal that will keep you full and satisfied!
I love making chili because there is so much nutrition in it this one pot meal. Lots of vitamins from the veggies, fiber from the beans, and protein form the ground beef. I feel like my kids get a well rounded meal with just one bowlful!!
To me, a perfect chili is a hearty chili, with nice chunks of veggies in every spoonful. I add onions, diced tomatoes, red and green bell pepper, and a of course some garlic for good measure. I am also super picky about the flavor of my chili. I do not like a smoky flavor but I do like a perfectly seasoned chili and this one is just that. Not too spicy but not even close to being bland. And if you get the chance to have any leftover chili from this recipe, just watch out! As the flavors sit overnight, they get even better!!!
To make this chili you will need an Instant Pot or other type of pressure cooker of your choice. I even added directions below for you to make this in your crockpot or to use the SLOW COOK button on your Instant Pot. There are just so many options to making this fabulous chili!
Instant Pot Chili Recipe
Prep time - 10 mins
Cook time - 25 mins
Total time - 35 mins
Recipe type: Main Course
1½ lbs ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
½ green pepper, chopped
½ red pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
28 oz can diced tomatoes
14 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
8 oz can tomato sauce
15.5 oz can chili beans
15.5 oz can dark kidney beans
1 bottle beer or 1 cup beef broth
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1. Press the SAUTE button on your Instant Pot and in the base of your instant Pot brown the ground beef (about 7 minutes).
2. Add the onions, peppers, and garlic, and saute until the onion is translucent (about 5 minutes).
3. Hit the CANCEL button to stop sautéing.
4. Add in all seasonings and stir until well combined.
5. Then add in tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, and beer or beef broth and mix well.
6. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock in place making sure to close the steam valve.
7. Press the MANUAL button* and adjust the time to 8 minutes.
8. Once the timer goes off, either let the pressure release naturally (will take up to 10 minutes) or open the valve to let the steam out for a quick pressure release.
9. Ladle into bowls and top with sour cream, shredded cheese, corn chips, and/or green onions
*Slow Cook IP Directions
Lock the lid in place but leave the steam valve to the OPEN position.
Instead of pressing the MANUAL button press the SLOW COOK button.
Adjust the temperature to LESS (equivalent to the low slow cooking temperature)/NORMAL/MORE (high slow cooking temperature)
Adjust the time according to how long you would like the chili to slow cook.
EX. I typically will do MORE and adjust time between 3-4 hours.
If I adjust the temperature to LESS I would adjust the time between 5-6 hours.
And don’t forget all your chili toppings!
We love a good Chili bar!!!
I’m telling you, there is nothing like a flavorful and hearty bowl of chili to warm you up on a cold night or to enjoy with friends over the weekend!