So today I bring you an English Paper Piecing Tutorial! One of my long term projects right now is an English Paper Piecing (EPP) project. This project will take me forever, and I am quite all right with that!
I love EPP and I hope that you will find that you begin to love it too!
For this tutorial I used:
5" charm squares
2" Hexagon templates (Find them here)
Sewline glue pen
First off let me say that there are many different ways to English Paper Piece, I will share my methods with you today! Okay, let's get ready to have some fun!
1. Start by using the glue pen on one side of the paper template.
2. Place sticky side of the template on the center of the wrong side of the fabric.
3. Trim the edges, I usually leave a 1/2" allowance on all sides.
4. Lightly glue one edge of the hexagon.
5. Fold fabric over and press along glued edge.
6. Fold next edge over as well.
7. Get your needle and thread ready! It's time to sew! At NO point will you sew through the paper template. With your needle sew through the first fold.
8. Pull the needle through and repeat.
9. Fold over next corner.
10. Sew through the fold again.
11. Pull needle through and repeat.
12. Repeat the process until you have have completed all corners of the hexagon.
13. Once you have two hexagons based, you can join them together with a ladder stitch. First place hexagons on top of each other right sides together.
14. Start at one corner. Sew through both hexagons. Your needle will go right below the top edge of the hexagon and right above the paper template. Pull the needle and thread through.
15. Come back through the other side, just a bit over from the first stitch. Pull the needle through.
16. Continue the ladder stitch until you reach the other corner.
17. When you reach the other corner tie off the thread, and you're done! It's as easy as that, the ladder stitch will be your best friend!
Now go have fun English Paper Piecing!