If you love French Onion Soup, then you are going to love these French Onion Sliders! Loaded with caramelized onion, roast beef, and topped with melted gruyere cheese, these small sliders pack some huge flavor.
Sliders are one of my favorite sandwiches to make. Probably because they are mini sandwiches which means you can have more than one! We all love that logic, right? I also love that sliders tend to be more of a hot sandwich which then for some reason makes me feel better about serving them for dinner.
I don’t know about you but I grew up in a family where sandwiches were never dinner food…lunch yes, but dinner was always hot. These then are the best of both worlds…hot and delicious…the dinner sandwich dilemma solved, hooray!
If you are like me and happen to be a huge fan of French Onion Soup (one of my favorite soups to order at Panera!) you are going to love these sliders…this recipe really blends the two together so nicely.
To make these sliders, you first need to caramelize some onion, making sure you get some burned bits here and there. It gives the best flavor.
French Onion Sliders
Prep time - 15 mins
Cook time - 40 mins
Total time - 55 mins
Recipe type: Main Course
2 tbsp butter
2 medium sized sweet onions, sliced thin
½ cup beef broth
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 lb deli style roast beef
8 oz gruyere cheese (sliced or shredded)
12 slider buns (or 1 package hawaiian sweet rolls)
1. In a saute pan over medium heat, melt butter and add onion slices.
2. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, until caramelized (translucent and dark) about 20-25 minutes.
3. Then add beef broth, worcestershire sauce, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper and stir well and turn heat to low.
4. Lightly grease a baking dish and place the bottom of the slider buns inside.
5. Add the roast beef on top.
6. Next, using a pair of tongs, remove only the caramelized onion slices and place them over the roast beef. Setting the beef broth mixture aside.
7. Next add the sliced or shredded gruyere cheese and place the slider buns on top.
8. Pour the beef broth mixture on to of the sliders, making sure each sandwich gets drizzled.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
10. Let cool for 5 minutes.
Need a little step by step of how these French Onion Sliders are built? Well, here ya go…top left to right, then bottom left to right!
In no time, you will be eating these gooey, cheesy, delicious sliders…get in my belly!!!