Use the templates provided to cut out the shapes needed for the construction of the bag.
All templates have 1/4″ seam allowance included.
2-1/4″ x 32″ for the ribbon for the casing.
1. From the fabric for the outside of the fabric cut two squares 16″ x 16″.
2. From the fabric for the inner pockets cut two squares 6″ x 8″.
3. Use the heart template to trace the heart shape on to the 3″ x 3″ fabric for the applique heart and cut out.
4. From the fabric for the pincushion, cut a circle using the template provided (marked “Smallest Circle for the Pincushion”).
Making the Pincushion.
1. Pin the cut-out heart to the centre of the small circle for the pincushion.
2. Using your favourite method of applique (I’ve used needleturn applique), pin first then applique the heart in place in the centre of the circle.
3. Put the pincushion to one side while you make the rest of the clutch.
MAKING THE OUTER BAG.
Cut the Large Circle for the Outer Bag:
Matching raw edges, fold one 16″ x 16″ in half, then in half again.
Using the large Template for “exterior and lining”, place the template on the fabric so that the straight sides of the template align with the two folded edges of the fabric.
Pin in place.
Carefully cut around the curved edge of the template, through all layers.
Remove the pins and template- and open out the circle.
Repeat with the other 16″ x 16″ square.
MAKING THE BUTTONHOLE FOR THE RIBBON TIE:
1. On one large circle, measure 1-1/2″ in from outside edge and put a mark.
2. Put another 1/2″ from the first mark.
3. Make 1/2″ buttonhole to fit between the two marks.
4. This circle with the buttonhole will be the Lining.
With right sides together and matching raw edges- sew the two circles together using 1/4″ seam allowance.
Leave an opening for turning.
Clip the curves.
Turn right side out and press.
Topstitch 1/8″ in from the outside edge of the circle.
2. MAKING THE INNER POCKETS:
Use the 12″ x 24″ fabric for the inner pockets and cut two squares 12″ x 12″.
Using the template marked “Small Circle for Inner Pockets”- use it in the same way as you did, above, (for Making the Outer Bag).
You should now have two sewn circles- one large circle for the outside of the bag and one smaller circle for the inside pockets.
MAKING THE LARGE CIRCLE:
MARKING THE CASING ON THE LARGE CIRCLE.
1. On the large circle, mark 3/4″ in from the outside edge all the way around the circle.
This line will be the first sewing line for the casing.
2. Measure 1-1/2″ in from the outside edge all the way around the large circle, putting a mark as you go.
This will be the second sewing line for the casing.
The buttonhole should lie between the first and second casing lines.
Sew the first and second casing lines.
MARKING THE POCKETS ON THE SMALL CIRCLE.
1.Fold the small circle for the pockets, in half and in half again- and fold in half again.
2. Press the folds with an iron to make the creases for the pockets.
3. Open out the smaller circle and place it on the larger circle, centred.
4. You should have eight crease lines altogether.(You can use a fabric marker to put a small mark where the crease lines are to make them easy to see).
5. Pin the smaller circle in place in the centre of the larger circle.
6. Sew the smaller circle to the larger one along the crease lines. These lines will form the pockets.
SEWING THE PINCUSHION INTO THE CLUTCH.
Use the circle with the applique heart you made previously and pin this to the centre of the small pocket circle.
Slip stitch in place, leaving an opening for turning.
Stuff the heart circle and slip stitch the opening closed.
This is the pincushion.
MAKING YOUR OWN RIBBON FOR THE CASING.
Either use bought satin ribbon- or make your own ribbon.
To Make your Own Ribbon:
Fold 2-1/4″ x 32″ in half along the entire length and press.
Fold each long raw edge into the centre and press again.
Topstitch around the entire ribbon, 1/8″ in from the outside edge.
Tie a knot in one short end pin a safety pin in the other short end.
Thread the end with the safety pin through the buttonhole in the casing, all the way through the entire casing, coming out through the buttonhole again.
Take the safety pin out of the ribbon and tie that end in a knot.
Pull both ends of the ribbon to close the clutch and tie in a pretty bow.
Don’t forget to fill the pockets with all the necessities needed for finishing your sewing project.