11" wide х 5 7/8" high
Amounts are based on 42"-wide fabric.
1/2 yard for exterior
1/4 yard for lining
3/8 yard of fusible interfacing
10" all-purpose zipper
7" all-purpose zipper for lining zipper pocket
1/2'' O-ring for strap
Leather label (optional)
- A 3/8" seam allowance is included on the pattern.
- Backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam.
Use the Linnea Ruffled Bag Front and Back pattern.
Transfer all points and reference marks to the fabric. Cut out the exterior, lining, and interfacing.
- 1 piece 2 1/4" x 6 3/4" for Exterior Center Panel
- 2 Exterior Front and Back pieces For the ruffled version, cut the front piece in half along the Front Ruffle cutting line.
- 2 pieces 3 3/4" x 10" for Center Ruffle Panels
- 4 pieces 4" x 10" for Side Ruffle Panels
- 1 piece 4" x 2" for loop
- 1 piece 42" x 2" for strap
- 2 Front and Back pieces
- 2 pieces 7" x 4" for Zipper Pocket
- 2 Front and Back pieces
Making the Ruffle1. Fold each ruffle panel in half lengthwise with wrong sides together. Gather the ruffle pieces. FIGURE A
2. Place a side ruffle panel onto the front half piece with right sides together and the raw edge of the ruffle 2 3/4" from the center raw edge. Pin the ends first, adjust the gathers to fit, and then pin the rest of the ruffle. Sew the ruffle to the front using a 3/8" seam allowance, FIGURE В
3. Repeat Step 2 to attach the next side ruffle over the first, with the raw edge of the ruffle 1 3/8" from the center edge.
4. Repeat Step 2 to attach the center ruffle, matching the raw edges.
5. Repeat Steps 2-4 to attach the ruffles to the other front half piece, FIGURE С
6. Sew the exterior center panel and exterior side panel with right sides together. Press the seam toward the center. Topstitch 1/8'' away from the edge, FIGURE D
7. Attach the other side in the same manner, FIGURE E
Installing the Zipper and Lining1. Fuse the interfacing to the wrong side of the lining pieces, following the manufacturer's instructions.
2. Install the lining zipper pocket.
3. Sew the exterior and lining darts.
4. Close the zipper and lay it on the exterior front panel with right sides together. You will be able to see the wrong side of the zipper. Pin in place and, using a zipper foot, stitch the zipper to the top panel 1/8'' from the edge of the tape. Backstitch to secure, FIGURE F
5. Place the lining piece and zippered exterior with right sides together. The zipper will now be between the exterior and the lining. Stitch, leaving 3/8" unsewn on both ends, FIGURE G
6. Flip the lining over to the wrong side and press. Topstitch the top panel close to the zipper coils through all the layers, leaving 3/8" unsewn on both ends, FIGURE H
7. Repeat Steps 4-6 for the other exterior and lining pieces.
Stitching the Loop and Strap1. Make the loop piece. Insert the loop piece into the ring, FIGURE I
2. Fold the loop piece in half with wrong sides together. Place the loop piece onto the zipper end and baste.
3. Sew the strap.
4. Place the strap onto the other side zipper end and baste, FIGURE J
Assembling the Exterior and Lining1. Match the exterior front and back pieces with right sides together. Pin and stitch from point A on a corner to point A on the other corner, FIGURE К
2. Sew the lining in the same manner, leaving a 4" opening for turning, FIGURE L
3. Clip the exterior and lining round corner seams.
4. Fold the top corners in, right sides together, over the loop and with the zipper coils meeting in the center.
5. Stitch across the seam, sewing back and forth several times to reinforce, FIGURE M
6. Turn the bag right side out. Press the bag and stitch the lining opening closed.
7. Insert the finished end of the long strap through the O-ring. Pull the strap to the desired length. Pin and stitch the end of the strap 1/8'' from the edge, FIGURE N